Saturday, July 9, 2011

Bags Galore!

This is the 2nd installment of my post pertaining to my stitched creations.  This time, however, there are only bags, bags and more bags!  They're just my favorite crochet/knitting pieces.

It started when I was able to make something out of the 6 granny squares which I created eons ago.  Come to think of it, I can't even remember how long ago that was...  But I didn't know what to do with them then, and I also didn't know a good way of joining them.  One day in May, a spark of inspiration came to me and I was able to come up with the idea of finally creating my laptop cozy out of my 6 granny squares.  I had already started on a laptop cozy using a different pattern and thread, which I thought I would be able to finish, but sad to say, it's now stored among my scrap crochet pieces :(

Here's how my laptop cozy looks like...


Here's how it looks on the other side...


I added a zipper and here's how it looks when I open the closure...


So you see, I was able to create something practical out of the squares I made before.  Nice eh?

If you're interested in creating Granny Squares, here's the link.  I used the Flat Braid method in joining them.  Here's the YouTube tutorial for learning the Flat Braid method.  I particularly liked this method since the joining between the squares is undetectable, unlike the sewn method or the single crochet method.

After a customized project, I gained more confidence in creating a real bag for myself.  Here's the bag which I created next.


This one is based on the pattern "Save the Earth Bag" on this link.  The sample shown on this page is a solid color in cream/off-white.



What's good about this bag is that it is quite stretchy and it can hold a lot of stuff.  I used 3 shades of gray in crocheting this bag because I noticed that I have a lot of stock yarns in this shade.  I did this bag in 2 days tops because even if it looks complicated, it's actually easy to make but still as pretty :)

Next, I came upon a different pattern which is more of a short shoulder bag or what they call here in the Philippines as "kili-kili" or underarm bag (funny term huh?) - it's one which when you put on your shoulders will stay close to the body particularly the underarm of the one carrying it.  Here's how it turned out...

     
Nice one too huh?  I used it yesterday and the only thing missing here is a good closure.  This crocheted pattern has no closure indicated so I am again challenged to think of something to close the bag.  Am still waiting for that spark of inspiration which always comes to me just at the right time.



It's in pure black.  I was also thinking of what color to combine it with but then I finally decided against using any of my brightly colored yarns.  I just thought that it would be nice to use different colors which I plan to weave through the double crochets on the middle portion of the bag.  But then again, the idea hasn't been fully formed in my mind yet so I will just post updates on this later on.

I'll be seeing some friends next month too so I tried to look for pouch bags which can be used as make-up bags, or other toiletries, or other things.  You know the saying - "A woman can't have too many bags" - so I tried to look for cute little bags which would look great inside a woman's larger bag.  Here's the pattern I found, and here's the bag I created.



I did this pouch using only my scrap threads, and yet it still looks cute right?  You can of course create your own customized pouch using a different color combination.

So these are my creations so far.  I have one in progress and maybe I will make a sneak peek post tomorrow.

Catch you later~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment